Welcome to the official website for Austin’s White Cane Day celebration. Wednesday, October 16th, 2019!
What is White Cane Day?
The President of the United States annually recognizes White Cane Day by the Blind Americans Equality Day Proclamation on October 15th to acknowledge the abilities of people who are blind and to promote equal opportunities as any other American.
The mission of White Cane Day is to educate the world about blindness and how the blind and visually impaired can live and work independently while giving back to their communities, to celebrate the abilities and successes achieved by blind people in a sighted world and to honor the many contributions being made by the blind and visually impaired.
Each year the Austin community comes together for a March and outdoor festival to celebrate this exciting day. This year’s event promises to be bigger and better than ever, so bring a friend and come have some fun!
When and where
Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 – Meet at one of the following locations:
There will be five different marching routes to choose from. Locations 1-4 step off promptly at 9:00 AM. Location 5 downtown steps off at 8:00 AM
- Walgreens at 4501 Guadalupe on bus routes #1, #345 – 9:00 AM
- Big O’s Pit BBQ at 4707 Burnet Rd. on bus route #3 and #345 – 9:00 AM
- Central Market at 4001 North Lamar Blvd on bus routes #5 and #803 – 9:00 AM
- Triangle Station on W. Guadalupe on bus routes #801 and #1 – 9:00 AM
- Austin City Hall 301 W. 2nd Street closest bus stop/station are from Republic Square Park – 8:00 AM
Check our ROUTES page for latest march details
Check back often to see what’s been added.